Canal configurations of mandibular anterior teeth in Erbil city by CBCT
Keywords:mandibular incisors, mandibular canines, root canal;, canal configuration, cone-beam computed tomography
Background and Objectives: The aim of this study is assessment of the canal morphology of mandibular anterior teeth, the gender differences and between right and left side of them in adult Iraqi Kurdish people using cone-beam computed tomography (CBCT).
Subjects and methods: CBCT). Subjects and methods: A retro and prospective study of canal configuration of mandibular anterior teeth by CBCT of a total of 194 subjects 72 males (37.1%) and 122 females (62.9%). Mandible anterior teeth including six teeth for each of 388 central incisor, lateral incisor and canine were analyzed in the database. For classification of morphology of the root canal, Vertucci method was used.
Results: There was a non-significant difference between genders. Percentage of more than one canal was 33.1% in central incisors, 33.1% in lateral incisors, and 9.2% in canines. The most common root canal morphology type in all mandibular anterior teeth was type I. Type III was the second most common type in mandibular incisors. Type V was the second most common type in mandibular canines.
Conclusion: Canal configuration is subjected to racial and ethnic variations and studying it is important for dental practitioner to understand the variations in root canal morphology of anterior teeth in order to overcome problems when performing endodontic treatment. More studies are needed to further define morphological characteristics of roots of mandibular anterior teeth in Kurdish population.
2. Altunsoy M, OK E, Nur BG, Aglarci OS, Gungor E, Colak MJ. A cone-beam computed tomography study of the root canal morphology of anterior teeth in a Turkish population. Eur J Dent 2014; 8(3):302.
3. Liu J, Luo J, Dou L, Yang D. CBCT study of root and canal morphology of permanent mandibular incisors in a Chinese population. Acta Odontologica Scandinavica 2014; 72(1):26-30.
4. Aminsobhani M, Sadegh M, Meraji N, Razmi H, Kharazifard MJ. Evaluation of the root and canal morphology of mandibular permanent anterior teeth in an Iranian population by cone-beam computed tomography. J Dent 2013; 10(4):358.
5. Zhengyan Y, Keke L, Fei W, Yueheng L, Zhi Z. Cone-beam computed tomography study of the root and canal morphology of mandibular permanent anterior teeth in a Chongqing population. Ther Clin Risk Manag 2016;12:19-25.
6. Arslan H, Ertas H, Ertas ET, Kalabalık F, Saygılı G, Capar ID. Evaluating root canal configuration of mandibular incisors with cone-beam computed tomography in a Turkish population. J Dent 2015; 10(4):359-64.
7. Kartal N, Yanikoglu FC. Root canal morphology of mandibular incisors. J Endod 1992; 18(11):562-4.
8. Madeira MC, Hetem S. Incidence of bifurcations in mandibular incisors. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1973; 36(4):589-91.
9. Kayaoglu G, Peker I, Gumusok M, Sarikir C, Kayadugun A, Ucok O. Root and canal symmetry in the mandibular anterior teeth of patients attending a dental clinic: CBCT study. Braz Oral Res 2015;29.
10. Saati S, Shokri A, Foroozandeh M, Poorolajal J, Mosleh N. Root morphology and number of canals in mandibular central and lateral incisors using cone beam computed tomography. Braz Dent J. 2018; 29(3):239-44.
11. Kamtane S, Ghodke M. Morphology of mandibular incisors: A Study on CBCT. Pol J Radiol 2016;81:15-6.
12. Han T, Ma Y, Yang L, Chen X, Zhang X, Wang Y. A study of the root canal morphology of mandibular anterior teeth using cone-beam computed tomography in a Chinese subpopulation. J Endod 2014; 40(9):1309-14.
13. Rankine-Wilson R, Henry P. The bifurcated root canal in lower anterior teeth. J Americ Dent Assoc 1965; 70(5):1162-5.
14. Ahmed HM, Hashem AA. Accessory roots and root canals in human anterior teeth: a review and clinical considerations. Int Endod J 2016; (8):724-36.
15. Somalinga Amardeep N, Raghu S, Natanasabapathy V. Root canal morphology of permanent maxillary and mandibular canines in Indian population using cone beam computed tomography. Anat Res Int. 2014; 2014:731859.
16. Geduk G, Deniz Y, Zengin AZ, Eroglu E. Conebeam computed tomography study of root canal morphology of permanent mandibular incisors in a Turkish sub-population. J Oral Maxillofac Radiol 2015; 3(1):7.
17. Carrotte P. Endodontics: Part 4 Morphology of the root canal system. Brit Dent J 2004; 197.
18. Karagoz-Kucukay I. Root canal ramifications in mandibular incisors and efficacy of lowtemperature injection thermoplasticized gutta-percha filling. J Endod 1994; 20(5):236-40.
19. Ng YL, Aung TH, Alavi A, Gulabivala K. Root and canal morphology of Burmese maxillary molars. Int Endod J 2001; 34(8):620-30.
20. Kartal N, Yanikoğlu F. The incidence of mandibular premolars with more than one root canal in a Turkish population. J Marmara Uni Dent Faculty 1992; 1(3):203-10.
21. Gulabivala K, Aung TH, Alavi A, Ng YL. Root and canal morphology of Burmese mandibular molars. Int Endod J 2001; 34(5):359-70.
22. Sert S, Bayirli GS. Evaluation of the root canal configurations of the mandibular and maxillary permanent teeth by gender in the Turkish population. J Endod 2004; 30(6):391-8.
23. Phulari RG. Textbook of dental anatomy, physiology and occlusion. JP Medical Ltd; 2013.
24. Al-Johany SS. Tooth numbering system in Saudi Arabia: Survey. Saudi Dent J 2016; 28(4):183-8.
25. Vertucci FJ. Root canal anatomy of the human permanent teeth. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1984; 58(5):589-99.
26. Lin Z, Hu Q, Wang T, Ge J, Liu S, Zhu M, et al. Use of CBCT to investigate the root canal morphology of mandibular incisors. Surgical Radiologic Anatomy 2014; 36(9):877-82.
27. You-nong W, Bao-li Y. Morphology research of 1976 permanent root canal. J Pract Stomatol 1995; 11(2):98-101.
28. Çalişkan MK, Pehlivan Y, Sepetçioğlu F, Türkün M, Tuncer SŞ. Root canal morphology of human permanent teeth in a Turkish population. J Endod 1995; 21(4):200-4.
29. Zhao Y, Dong YT, Wang XY, Wang ZH, Li G, Liu MQ, et al. Cone-beam computed tomography analysis of root canal configuration of 4 mandibular anterior teeth. Beijing da xue xue bao Yi xue ban (Journal of Peking University Health sciences) 2014; 46(1):95-9.
30. Pécora JD, Sousa Neto M, Saquy PC. Internal anatomy, direction and number of roots and size of human mandibular canines. Braz dent J. 1993; 4(1):53-7.
31. Miyashita M, Kasahara E, Yasuda E, Yamamoto A, Sekizawa T. Root canal system of the mandibular incisor. J Endod 1997; 23(8):479-84.
32. Al‐Qudah A, Awawdeh L. Root canal morphology of mandibular incisors in a Jordanian population. Int Endod Jo 2006; 39(11):873-7.
33. Sert S, Aslanalp V, Tanalp J. Investigation of the root canal configurations of mandibular permanent teeth in the Turkish population. Int Endod J 2004; 37(7):494-9.
34. Qing-ping Z, Xing C, editors. The relationship between the number of root canal and age in mandibular anterior teeth. Poster presented at: The 7th Annual Meeting of Chinese Geriatric Dentistry: Beijing, People’s Republic of China; 2012.
35. Soleymani A, Namaryan N, Moudi E, Gholinia A. Root canal morphology of mandibular canine in an Iranian population: a CBCT assessment. Iran Endod J 2017; 12(1):78.
36. Rahimi S, Milani AS, Shahi S, Sergiz Y, Nezafati S, Lotfi M. Prevalence of two root canals in human mandibular anterior teeth in an Iranian population. Indian J Dent Res 2013; 24(2):234.
37. da Silva EJ, de Castro RW, Nejaim Y, Silva AI, Haiter-Neto F, Silberman A, et al. Evaluation of root canal configuration of maxillary and mandibular anterior teeth using cone beam computed tomography: An in-vivo study. Quintessence Int 2016; 47(1):19-24.
38. Klein R, Blake S, Nattress B, Hirschmann P. Evaluation of X‐ray beam angulation for successful twin canal identification in mandibular incisors. Int Endodc J 1997; 30(1):58-63.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2020 Azhin Mustafa Goran, Fareed Hanna Rofoo (Author)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
The copyright on any article published in Erbil Dental Journal is retained by the author(s) in agreement with the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial ShareAlike License (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0).